Our Children and Young People
Children are always welcome at Goose Creek. Like our Quaker forebears, we believe that God’s Light shines particularly brightly in children and we are careful to nurture that Light with tenderness and care.
October 10: First Day School, 10:00-10:45
Ages 8 & up: Vocal Ministry (page 11 in BYM’s Faith & Practice, 1988).
At-Your-Convenience Lesson Plans Online
Click here to view on our First Day School page for an at-your-convenience lesson plan. This week there is a letter from a Friend in Victoria, British Columbia! Also find excerpts from Faith & Practice, the Bible, our recipe of the week, and more!
Sign Up today to be a Friendly Adult Presence (FAP)!
There are slots available as we move into fall! Click here or on the icon below to sign up today; it’s fun and simple – and we need you!
October-November 2021 Calendar
- RE Committee Meeting – Wednesday, October 20th, 7:30 PM
- Quaker Parenting Get-together – Saturday, October 30, 1:00 PM. Join: https://meet.google.com/eks-gdcn-vqk
- Goose Creek Teen Group – the usual last First Day Teen Group has been rescheduled from October 31st to November 7th, 7:30 due to Halloween. Join: https://meet.google.com/evf-kbwt-csj
Guidelines: Outdoor First Day School
- Masks are now required for everyone inside the Meeting House.
- Children (all ages) and their families can either gather together outside on the Meeting House porch (main entrance) or indoors between 9:45-10:00 and share silent worship. The children can re-join their parents indoors (masks required) after First Day School at the rise of Meeting too.
- We will have a box of new masks for anyone needed one plus hand-sanitizer;
- At 10:00 the children (and parents too if they would like) and two Friendly Adult Presences (FAPs) will move to the porch of the First Day School room to start the lesson;
- At 10:45, the children will gather again on the Meeting House porch (main entrance area) and wait with the FAPs to join their families and friends;
- We suggest that everyone participating in the outdoor First Day School group consider bringing water, hats, a blanket, and wear sturdy shoes;
- Parents of infants and toddlers are asked to stay with them during First Day School until we have arrangements for the nursery;
- To use the restroom during Meeting for Worship, the children and adults are asked to use the First Day School room entrance to enter the Meeting House. Masks are required to enter the Meeting House;
- Currently no snacks are currently being offered at the Meeting House; and,
- Thank you for your patience as we enter into post-pandemic life!
When we are able to meet in person again, each Sunday we have a nursery for children from birth to kindergarten and First Day School for kindergarteners to 12th graders. Babies, children, and young Friends begin worship with the adults at 9:45 in the meeting room. At 10 a.m., led by the teachers, they leave Meeting for Worship and move to the gathering room for the nursery and First Day School.
Lessons cover everything from Quaker history and testimonies, to the Bible and Christianity, other faith practices, and spiritual paths.
In the lessons, the adults not only seek to impart knowledge but also to listen to each child with a whole heart and to allow them space and respect to find that of God within him or herself.
At the end of the school year, Goose Creek holds Book Sunday – this year on June 7, 2020 – where every child who participated in First Day School over the previous year is presented with a book. This is followed by an ice cream social to celebrate the start of the summer vacation.
We also encourage our young people to participate in Baltimore Yearly Meeting’s Camping Program, where they can experience wholesome fun outdoors and learn how to “live” the Quaker Way of peace and mutual respect and love in community with other young people. During the school year, middle and high schoolers can also participate in BYM’s Young Friends and Junior Young Friends weekends.
18204 Lincoln Road
Purcellville, VA 20132
PO Box 105
Lincoln, VA 20160