March 2023 Calendar
- 03/26 FIRST DAY SCHOOL (Grades 6-12) In our ongoing fourth First Day lessons on Quaker Practice, this month, First Day School welcomes Friends from the Archives committee to discuss their work. (Grades K-5) Children will continue learning about the SPICES through stories and art and figure out which of the SPICES has to do with the Archives committee.
- OAKDALE NURSERY: Each week there are games, stories, crafts, and play with Miss Erin!
- APRIL 2023 – There will be many lessons by Unity with Nature committee this month and remember Easter is April 09!
- 04/01 MUD CLUB! Saturday, 10:00 to 1:00 All ages welcome! Adults may enjoy the weaving frame and rock cairns as well as the natural beauty of the space. For more information, click here.
Click here to email us for more information.
Sign up to volunteer in First Day School, the Nursery, or for our 2nd hour programs, it’s fun!
Being a Friendly Adult Volunteer (FAV) is a really positive and fun experience – a great way to get to know our younger Friends! During 4th month Archives and both Scholarship committees are scheduled to help us recruit volunteers. Click the button below to sign up to be a Friendly Adult Volunteer for the First Day School and/or the Nursery. Thank you!
If you want to help but do not wish to use the Signup Genius application, email Maria and she’ll be happy to add you to the calendar.
From Faith & Practice
Are you concerned for responsible use of natural resources and their nurture for future generations? Do you try to avoid wasteful consumption and pollution? Do you seek to preserve the beauty and balance of God’s world? – From Faith and Practice of the Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (1988)
From the Bible
Psalm 104:10-12 From The Holy Bible, New International Version, (1984):
He makes springs pour water into the ravines;
It flows between the mountains.
They give water to all the beasts of the field;
The wild donkeys quench their thirst.
The birds of the air nest by the waters;
They sing among the branches.
- What are some of the activities we humans do to the soil or earth? Think of as many examples as you are able.
- Think about how some of these activities might impact or affect water nearby (when it rains/snows and what happens when this water enters streams, creeks, ponds, lakes or marshes).
- In addition to Stewardship, how do the other SPICES (Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community, Equality, Stewardship) relate to today’s subject?
Collected Favorite Recipes
Here are some of our favorite recipes. Email Us for more information
- 07/04/21, Cameron’s favorite: Crepes, click here for the recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, The Food Network (watch video below)
- 07/11/21, Maria’s favorite: Chocolate Chip Cookies, click here for the the Joy of Cooking’s recipe.
- 07/18/21, Summertime favorite: Zucchini Bread, click here for The Washington Post’s recipe.
- 07/25/21, Another summertime must-have, Mason Jar Ice Cream, click here for the very easy recipe! You’ll be hooked.
- 08/01/21, from Cameron, a simple and yummy favorite with only 3 ingredients, Peanut Butter Cookies click here for the recipe.
- 08/08/21, Cameron’s Birthday Cookie Dough (vegan, gluten-free), Email us for the recipe
- 08/15/21, Erin Traub’s Banana/Pumpkin Bread, Email us for the recipe
- 08/22/21, Joeypick from the BYM camps cookbook, Sweet Potato Biscuits, Email us for the recipe
- 08/29/21, Aimee Indian Lentil Soup, Email us for the recipe
- 09/05/21, Emma’s Blueberry Bars, Email us for the recipe
- 09/12/21, Cris’ Summer Pepper Frittata, Email us for the recipe
- 09/19/21, Small Farmer’s Journal’s Boston Brown Bread, Email us for the recipe
- 09/26/21, Diet for a Small Planet’s, Vegan Feijoada, click here for the recipe
- 10/03/21, Small Farmer’s Journal’s, Cinnamon Buns, see recipe below.
- 10/10/21, Quick Pickled Jalapeños, The Washington Post, click here for the recipe.
- 10/17/21, Vegan Sweet Potato and Kale Soup, From My Bowl, click here for the recipe.
- 10/24/21, Best Ever Homemade Flour Tortillas, The Cafe Sucre Farine, click here for the recipe.
- 10/31/21, Pumpkin Soup, Email us for the recipe
- 11/07/21, Carrot Cake, Email us for the recipe
- 11/14/21, The Washington Post’s Skillet Caramelized Cabbage, click here for the recipe
- 11/20/21, The Small Farmer’s Journal’s, Scout’s Pumpkin Breakfast Muffins and Spicy Chicken Bacon Soup (see recipes below)
- 11/27/21, The Washington Post’s, Stuffed acorn squash with lentils, pecans and brown butter, click here for the recipe
- 12/05/21, The New York Times’ Classic Potato Latkes, click here for the recipe
- 12/12/21, Aran Goyoaga’s, Pear and Toasted Miso Upside-Down Cake, see recipe below or at The Washington Post. Click here to see Goyoaga’s cookbook, Cannelle et Vanille Bakes Simple
- 12/19/21, The Small Farmer’s Journal, Steamed Quaker Pudding, see recipe below
- 12/26/21, Holiday Crinkle Cookies, click here for the recipe.
- 01/02/22, Hoppin’ John! A classic Southern dish to celebrate New Year’s. The black-eyed peas are for good fortune in the coming year. Click here for the recipe.
- 01/09/22, Buckwheat Crepes With Ham, Cheese and Egg, click here for the recipe.
- 01/16/22, Polenta With Chickpeas and Tomatoes, click here for the recipe.
- 01/23/22, Molasses Mocha Cookies from the Small Farmer’s Journal
- 01/30/22, Easy Vegetable Baked Pasta, from Inspired Taste
- 02/06/22, The Best Chicken Soup You’ll Ever Eat, click here for the recipe from The Ambitious Kitchen
- 02/13/22, Chocolate Pound Cake, click here for the recipe from Trisha Yearwood on the Food Network
- 02/20/22, Borodinski Bread, from Harmony Sveshnikova via the Essex Farm Note
- 02/27/27, Creamy Forest Pasta With Mushrooms, from “In Minutes,” Clodagh McKenna. Click here for the recipe online.
- 03/05/22, Oat Flour Sweet Potato Brownies, from Rob & Mo Moutoux. Click here for the recipe.
Share your recipe! Please send to Cameron
18204 Lincoln Road
Purcellville, VA 20132
PO Box 105
Lincoln, VA 20160